Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for..........

U is for...........Up.

The best animated movies work on multiple levels, and Up is both a fun movie for kids, and a deeply moving film for adults.

The best movies give you something to talk about, and I have had so many great conversations about Up with the girls. One day Scout asked me why Mr. Fredrickson used a walker in the beginning of the movie. This led to a discussion about symbolism. I didn't have to tell the girls why he used that walker. I asked a few questions and they were able to figure out that the walker was a symbol for giving up, and that by the end of the movie, Mr. Fredrickson didn't need that walker because he had decided to enjoy his life again.

Not bad for a cartoon.

What's your favorite animated movie?

7 comments:

  1. Sentimental favorite from childhood -- Cinderella. Recent best was Up, since it managed, in the words of my Bigger Girl, to tell a better love story in the first minutes of the movie than the whole Twilight series put together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love "Up." I cried, I laughed. And every time either my husband or I get distracted, we say, "Squirrel!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that gif. Aww. Up is a great movie. I honestly can't even pick a favorite, there are so many good ones. And you're right, the good ones are the ones that appeal to adults as well as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone says how good this movie is, and yet I still haven't seen it. What's wrong with me? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like "Up." My sister hates it. She says it's too sad. My favorite animated films include (how could I possibly chose one favorite?) Meet the Robinsons, Despicable Me, Finding Nemo, Quest for Camelot, and many Disney classics like The Aristocats.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete