Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for..........

P is for..........Pi Patel.

Life of Pi was my top movie of 2012. I love the book, and Ang Lee's adaptation was cinematic brilliance. Don't take my word for it, Lee won a little something called the Oscar for his directing. If you'e like me, it might stirke you as odd that the best director didn't direct the Oscar winner for Best Picture. Guess that's Hollywood for ya.

When we first meet Pi Patel he is a young boy trying to make sense of his world. He finds beauty and truth in religion, all of them, cobbling together his own unique spirituality. Pi is thrust into an epic journey, and I was so emotionally connected to this film that I felt like I was taking the journey with him.

Life of Pi was a real family event for me. It was great to watch the movie with my girls, my mom, and in-laws. We went to dinner after the movie, and we talked about Ang Lee's direction, about Richard Parker, about faith, about Pi Patel. It was one of the best movie experiences of my life.

6 comments:

  1. I remember when you blogged about it a while back and how you got my curiosity going. I'm not much of a movie-goer, but recently, the kids and I have watched a few at home. About a month ago, it was Life of Pi, and it kept my interest going throughout. I agree with you - that it was definitely an award deserving movie.

    I should read your movie reviews more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book, I still need to read it.

    But you are right how can the film not have won an Oscar if the director got one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the book when I read it way back when, but haven't seen the movie yet. It's on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this yet, but what a great experience you must have had. So rare when there is a movie everyone enjoys that much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see many movies in 2012. That was a complicated year for me. Anyway, I can appreciate that a movie had so much going on during the film that it generated conversation after the film. That is what movies are supposed to do.

    ReplyDelete