Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for..........

S is for..........Steven Spielberg.

I consider Steven Spielberg the greatest American director of all time. There are lots of other candidates of course: Ford, Huston, Allen, Scorsese. But for my money, and I've spent my fair share of it at the movies over the years, Spielberg is the best.

Just think about the diversity of the guy's films. It's hard to believe the same person made Jurassic Park and Schindler's List. The same guy made Jaws and Lincoln. The same guy made Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Color Purple. You get the point. Not many directors, if any, attempt such drastically different films.

Spielberg has directed 21 films, and had his hand in over 100 others. The thing that amazes me is that his productivity has never gotten in the way of qualtiy. I can't say I love every movie he's made, but there aren't many I didn't enjoy. These are my top 5 Speilberg movies:

5) Jurassic Park
4) Schinlder's List
3) The Color Purple
2) Saving Private Ryan
1) E.T.

How 'bout you, what's your favorite Speilberg movie?

7 comments:

  1. Probably not one of his 'classics', but I love The Terminal. Mind you, I'm a huge Tom Hanks fan. Funnily enough, I watched Jurassic Park on tv last night.
    angelinetrevena.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought about the variety of the films he's made. I knew it was a lot but when you break it down into the types, etc, just...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schindler's List probably. It moved me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is Jurassic Park. I never tire of watching that one when I come upon it, just such a fun movie. Also love JAWS. The big rubber shark looks cheesy now but the scenes when you never see the shark and it's just the camera moving underwater to the sound of the theme music are still just brilliant and so scary.

    You're so right now that I'm thinking of it, it's amazing the variety of his films. Can't get much different than JAWS and Schindler's List.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I love how Raiders recreates the classic serials and the days where, between the newsreels, cartoons, popcorn and double-feature, fifty cents could by a kid a whole Saturday afternoon's worth of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved Always and The Terminal (not mentioned on your list). My favorite on your list: ET. That was a great movie.

    ReplyDelete