Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for..........

F is for..........Footloose.

Definitely not the 2011 remake. I haven't seen it, and I have no intention of ever watching it.

Nope, it's the 1984 original for this guy.

I was in 9th grade when Footloose came out, and my parents had recently told me that we would be leaving Appleton and moving to Green Bay within the year.

I was devastated.

Now, I'm not saying I envisioned myself moving to Green Bay and having to fight for my right to dance, but I definitely connected with Kevin Bacon's Ren, the new guy in town trying to fit in. I will freely admit that I had every intention of being as cool as Kevin Bacon when I rolled into Green Bay.

I remember going to see Footloose a bunch of times with my friend, Tom Huettner. Tom's dad was a fairly strict religious kind of guy, and I think Tom related to that aspect of the movie. Of course, we both loved the music. I remember getting the soundtrack that Easter, along with MJ's Thriller. The Footloose soundtrack was kind of my personal soundtrack for a while.

This might sound ridiculous, but Footloose helped me deal with the move to Green Bay. And for that reason, I'll always love it.

Have any movies ever helped you with a tough time?

12 comments:

  1. This sounds terrible, but I always mix up Footloose and Flashdance until I see the posters!
    Happy A to Z-ing

    Jemima at Jemima's blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this, Kevin Bacon dances? So he is not fighting for his right to party?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the new version on a plane trip, but yeah, the original is the best!!! Love Kevin Bacon in this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny that you are adamant about not seeing the remake of Footloose. So am I. I absolutely will not see it. I was furious when I saw that they had done it. It sent me off in a high-speed rant about them messing with my 80s movies, and how Hollywood needs to get some new ideas, not mess with The Good Stuff from the 80s.

    That movie came out the summer before my junior year. A guy who looked just like Kevin Bacon's Ren moved to my school my junior year. I kid you not. It was a HUGE high school. I had several classes with this guy. He sat next to me in English. I thought I was going to DIE. I almost called him Kevin. As in Kevin Bacon. His name was Brad. When I say almost... sound came out. "Ke.. Brad,..." I have no idea what I was going to ask him or tell him NOW. All I remember is how mortified I would have been if I'd actually called him Kevin. Aaaaggghhhh.

    Needless to say, love love love Footloose and I am going to be talking about it myself when we hit letter "H" next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this movie. I haven't watched the new one and I don't think I ever will.

    I liked Lohan's Mean Girls, I could relate a lot to it. It helped me deal with the new school and its many monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who would NOT love a move to Green Bay!!! Home of the Packers and all. I was born there and left when I was very young. I am now trying to get back to visit all things Packers and have not made it yet.

    Sorry for the sidetrack but GB does that to me. I liked the movie even though the premise seemed a little wonky.

    Heathers is a good dark-side movie about trying to fit in.

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in 9th grade when Footloose came out too. I totally loved it and, since I was (and am) a terrible dancer, I really wished Ren could teach me to dance the way he did his clumsy friend. It was amazing how much the friend learned just during "Let's hear it for the boy."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one definitely makes my top ten list. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! What a huge part of my life. I cannot resist dancing whenever, wherever this song comes on. Even in the supermarket! Kevin Bacon = hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this movie! And I refuse to see the remake of this or DIRTY DANCING.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched the remake of this movie, mostly because there was beer involved and apparently beer and the video store don't mix. My roommate and I spent most of the movie making fun of how unimpressed Dennis Quaid (oh, yes, he plays the father!) looked with the whole thing.

    I generally watch Tangled when I have a bad day. It got me through my student teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Footloose (the original) is such a great movie. I'm glad it helped you at a difficult time in your life. I have movies I watch when I'm having a hard time, but, growing up, it was the books that made the difference. Jacob Have I Loved in particular (as I was one of 5 sisters, and I towered over all of them. If I ever felt less like a girl, it was when I turned 12 and couldn't fit into any of my older sister's clothes, so Weeze, I understood.)

    ReplyDelete