Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Focusing on the Positive

I had a meeting yesterday that really got my blood boiling. The meeting was about our test scores. I work at a failing school, so the test scores aren't good. The scores bother me, but it was more than that. I don't want to go on a rant right now, so I'm going to wait, let a coherent post form in my mind before trying to write. Instead of focusing on the negativity, I want to focus on a couple of positive things going on at school.

Last Friday we had our first Student of the Month breakfast. I've written about our Student of the Month ceremony before, but for the uninitiated, every month each teacher selects a deserving student to honor. We host a big breakfast for all the kids and their families. There's a lot of love in the room. It's a very cool thing.

This was probably the first time my choice actually surprised me. I chose a girl who I had a fairly serious run-in with last year. I subbed for a colleague, and this girl was a real jerk. We got into it pretty good. When I saw this girl's name on my roster this year, I was fairly certain she would be a major thorn in my side. To my surprise, this girl has been amazing. She works hard every day and her attitude has been great. She is one of my favorite students. I give kids second chances (and 3rd, and 4th, and 5th.....you get the drift) for a living, so I probably shouldn't be so surprised by this turn of events. But I am. Just another example of why I enjoy teaching.

My 8th grade team has set up a study hall after school from 4-5 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We've identified a number of kids who have to show up because of poor grades, but everyone is welcome. We're three weeks in, and on average, 15-20 kids are showing up. We'd like there to be more, but we'll take what we can get. I'm working with kids on assignments from my class, and I'm really enjoying the chance to work with the kids individually, giving them the extra help they need. I was working with a couple kids this afternoon, and it just sort of hit me, I was having a blast.

I'll get to that post about test scores, the particular statistical inanities that bug me even as I type this sentence. I'm just glad I have so many other positive things to focus on every day.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting post - mind you it seems as if No Child Left Behind is now sort of being left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love hearing your positive school stories. Hopefully things will get better soonl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Test scores say more about the school's socio-economic make-up than anything else. I sent my children to a fantastic school in East Harlem that had pretty bad test scores. The school tried not to teach to the tests, but instead to teach the curriculum that mattered. I admired that. I just learned the school received an "A" on its latest report card. How did I find out? Because the NYTimes wrote an article about how over the weekend 21 computers were stolen from the school. The last time the computers were stolen, three years ago, it didn't make the paper. Did that A help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids are lucky to have you. And what a cool feeling to suddenly look up in the middle of your job and realize you're having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do such good work for the people of the world Tim. Keep it up and keep changing the future one kid at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your school stories, it sounds like you have such great relationships with these kids. I especially love the story of your student of the month!

    I have a few teacher friends, and they all rant and rave about the test score issue. It seems so idiotic that so much is based on those scores, I can only imagine how frustrating that system must be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're clearly a great teacher.

    Both of my Girls have been blessed with a lot of great teachers and even now that they have graduated, still keep in touch with quite a few of them. Like you, they are the teachers that find a way through all the crap and still reach the students.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you could focus on something positive despite the other irritation. Test scores should not determine anyone's success. I'm also glad to read how much you enjoy teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tests are way overrated. It's unfortunate a school can be turned upside down over tests. But it sounds like you do all the right things: second chances and extra help. Care and compassion. That is what really counts. Lots of positive stuff here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Tim... I'm proud to say I virtually know you.

    ReplyDelete