Friday, April 29, 2011

Y is for.....

Y is for.....Yoda.

I wouldn't call myself a full-fledged Stars War geek, but there are tendencies. I can't tell you the names of all the creatures in the cantina scene or anything, but I will gladly proclaim my love for Yoda.

I have a giant Yoda poster in my classroom. I tell my students that Yoda sees all and gladly informs me of any wrongdoing I might miss. I also have a few Yodas strategically placed around the class. One is a Yoda Magic 8 Ball, and every so often I'll let the kids ask Yoda some questions. I may or may not answer those questions in a lame Yoda voice. We have a few Yodas around the house as well, and I'm proud to say my daughters love the wise green one as much as I do.

George Lucas gave us two very different Yodas. The Yoda of the original trilogy is broken down, barely able to lift Luke's ship out of the swamp.


The Yoda in the prequel triology is an ass-kicking whirling dervish.


It was pretty cool to see Yoda bust out the light saber and mad fighting skills, but when push comes to shove, I have to go with the original Yoda.

Last summer I discovered a new version of Yoda. Origami Yoda.


This Yoda plays a prominent role in Tom Angleberger's great book The Strange Case of Origami Yoda. The book is a sweet story about a socially awkward 6th grade boy (is there any other kind?) who dispenses middle school wisdom through a perfectly constructed origami Yoda. It's ideal for 3rd-6th graders, and their parents of course.

Original Yoda, prequel Yoda, and yes, even origami Yoda. What's not to love? 

16 comments:

  1. Ending, AZ challenge soon is. Relieved am I.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son read that and made him.
    do or do not, there is no try!
    happy y day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoda is awesome.

    Added to that, Yoda is a joke in my family because my dad couldn't remember my friend Yolie's name and called her Yoda. To her face. Still one of our best family memories ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a book about Yoda. I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have the skill to make an origami yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Yoda, you can't beat the original in my book. I've never seen the origami yoda but that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I love Yoda. Found you through the A-Z challenge and so glad I did!

    ~Tracy
    www.evolvingsoul11.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been enjoying catching up on some of your posts. Just terrific. You sound like a great teacher and have been in some interesting jobs, I'm sure. My boys are huge Star Wars fans. Right now, they're having their big birthday bash. Several lightsabers, nerf bullets, and various other weaponery abound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enter obligatory Yoda comment HERE (Disjointed sentence structure and everything.)
    Holy cow! One more to go! Been nice reading your stuff for the past four weeks. I look forward to what May, June, July and the rest will bring.
    Keep on trucking.

    ReplyDelete