Monday, January 31, 2011

The Lambeau Leap

This is going to be a long week. For the third time in my life, the Green Bay Packers are playing in the Super Bowl. Sunday can't get here soon enough. To help calm my nerves, I thought it might be fun to share a few of my favorite memories of the Green Bay Packers this week, the most unique franchise in professional sports.

Even the casual football fan may be familiar with players jumping into the stands to celebrate a big play with the fans. Packers fans know this as the Lambeau Leap, and it has been imitated by players on any number of teams across the NFL. I can't knock guys for doing it, but if it's not done in Green Bay, it just doesn't measure up.

One of the all-time fan favorites in Green Bay Packers history is LeRoy Butler. He was a great player to be sure, but diehard GBP fans will always remember him as the originator of the iconic Lambeau Leap. Here he is doing the very first Lambeau Leap on a frigid day in 1993. I remember it like it was yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. awesome... good luck on Sunday. My team (the Ducks) used to be green and gold too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesing - I'm not an expert on football over here, but I'm surprised they haven't been to more Superbowls, I'll certainly root for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be rooting for your team this weekend, bud. Wait, who're the Packers playing again? 'Scuse me, I need to go find a newspaper real quick. Plus my balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Munk. I was rooting for the Ducks in the title game. Maybe the Packers will draft Clay's brother, he looked good out there.

    David: Yeah, only three in my lifetime. They won two SBs before I was born and a number of championships before they called it the Super Bowl.

    DP: Always room for more Packers fans. Really cool to see you over here on the blog.

    ReplyDelete