Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Tag

I've been tagged for the second time in my blogging career. Thanks to Nari at narislife for thinking of me. Nari is doing really cool things with her blog, and I always enjoy reading her work. Check her out and give her a follow.

When you're tagged in the blogosphere, you have to answer some questions about yourself. In this case, quite a few actually. Before I do that, I need to tag four other bloggers. I love all the blogs I follow, so with no particular rhyme or reason, here are four interesting bloggers worth reading and following:

Otter Thomas at Life of a New Dad

Austin James at Austin James Here

James at Luke, I Am Your Father

Yat-Yee Chong

Now on to the questions:

1) If you have pets, do you see them as animals, or are they members of the family?

We adopted a dog this summer, and she is most definitely a member of our family. She came to us with the name Riley, so it's like that old Little Caesar's commercial around here, Riley Riley.

2) If you can have a dream come true, what would it be?

Like most of us, I have any number of unfulfilled dreams. The one that jumps to mind right now is going to Ireland as a family.

3) What is the one thing most hated by you?

I hate how polarized American politics has become. The art of compromise appears to be on life support, and it's hurting us a country.

4) What would you do with a billion dollars?

I would set up family and friends with homes, cars, college funds, the works. I'd do all the traveling I've always wanted to do. I would establish a foundation focused on helping kids go to college, and that would be my life's work.

5) What helps to pull you out of a bad mood?

Just the sight of my girls brightens my mood, and one of their hugs can bring me out of even the darkest places.

6) Which is more blessed, loving someone or being loved by someone?

It is a blessing to truly love another person. Life is incomplete without loving others. I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life to love.

7) What is your bedtime routine?

I lock the doors and turn on the microwave light. On the way back to my room, I check on the girls. I love seeing how peaceful they look. I brush my teeth, turn on the kids' old sound machine, and then read a bit. I can't end a day without doing some reading.

8) If you are currently in a relationship, how did you meet your partner?

It sounds like a bad movie, but I actually met my wife at a bar. Friends of mine had a band, and we met at one of their shows. We went to a party after the show, and I was pretty lit. Good thing my wife found my drunken antics amusing. The rest, as they say, is history.

9) If you could watch a creative person in the act of the creative process, who would it be?

My initial impulse was to think of an author I admire, but I think watching a great director would be more interesting. Watching Martin Scorsese create a movie would be fascinating.

10) What kinds of books do you read?

I try to read a healthy mix of fiction and nonfiction. I prefer literary fiction and biographies of historical figures.

11) How would you see yourself in ten years time?

Ten years from now I'll probably still be teaching. That means I'll also be struggling to find a way to pay for two college tuitions. Who knows, maybe the writing thing will help pay the bills. At the very least, I plan on having some books out there.

12) What's your fear?

My greatest fear is that I'm not living life to the fullest. I have a tendency to put things off, thinking there will always be time. I have to remind myself to live in the moment, carpe diem as they say.

13) Would you give up all the junk food for the rest of your life for the opportunity to visit space?

Sure, why not.

14) Would you rather be single and rich, or married and poor?

I love being married and scrapping by, so being married and poor probably wouldn't be that different.

15) What's the first thing you do when you wake up?

I shuffle my way to the kitchen, pour myself a bowl of cereal, and then sit down to read at the computer.

16) If you could change one thing about your spouse/partner, what would it be?

I have just consulted my wife for this answer, and she actually came up with a pretty good one. She falls asleep way too early on the weekends. I like to watch late night movies, and she can never stay up.

17) If you could pick a new name for yourself, what would it be?

In honor of Jeffrey Lebowski, my new name would be "The Dude."

18) Would you forgive and forget no matter how horrible a thing that special someone has done?

I doubt I could ever forget, but I hope I'd have the capacity to forgive.

19) If you could only eat one thing for the next six months, what would it be?

This one is easy. Goldfish. To be honest, I don't think this would even be much of a challenge.

14 comments:

  1. I liked the answers. If you ever get a chance to hang out with Scorcese give me a shout. That would be awesome.

    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tagging me ,Tim. I will try to answer these questions, some of which are going to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who came up with these questions? I like your response and I do believe that American politics are waayyyyy polarized.

    What would you do with a billion dollars?
    I would tell everyone my name is Michaelangelo instead of Mike, move to Beverly Hills with my black woman friend Tomeka from Detroit. She'd get one of those Coco Chanel purses and we'd stuff a small dog in it and tie a distasteful ribbon around it's neck. Then we'd go to where the Housewives of Beverly Hills gets filmed, tell them our names were Michaelangelo and Tomeka and complain at how the lighting in the pools doesn't match the palm trees, sip margaritas, and be completely shallow. This would be my experiment on how easy it is to be completely worthless in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for tagging me. And I totally agree with you that politics is WAYYYY too polarized in America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ireland is beautiful and well worth touring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Otter: Yeah, Marty's pretty cool.

    GW: I guess I've convinced myself that Goldfish aren't junk food.

    Yat-Yee: Yeah, some of the questions were tough.

    Michael, or should I say, Michaelangelo: The Housewives of Beverly Hills have been warned.

    Austin: Looking forward to your answers.

    Laoch: One of those Bucket List deals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your answers...but, ummmm, when you say goldfish, you did mean the crackers, right? Because otherwise, YUCK!

    * Also, you must truly be a wonderful teacher as it appears to be such an integral part of who you are. What lucky students you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I think you did this to mess with my head. I am reading your tagees and I am saying to myself "What, did he tag me twice?" until I realized that you did not. LOL.

    James Austin (Seattledad)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was a lot of questions but you made it through. Have a great day, week, month and year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was great to find out all these facts about you. You have such cute daughters, and I can tell they're very lively.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great answers ...especially what you say about loving and being loved

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another good read about your life. Now, I'm curious about our wife and kids, like, how old are they...the kids, that is. :)

    You've probably blogged about them here and there, so I'll be on the lookout for more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did I say, "OUR wife and kids?" LOL

    ReplyDelete