Monday, January 16, 2012

Drowning My Sorrow in the Golden Globes


Well, the Green Bay Packers picked a really bad time to play their worst game of the season. I spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone commiserating with friends. This is a little discussed aspect of being a fan, but talking with friends after a loss is a strangely satisfying feeling, the idea that we've experienced the same disappointment, venting to the only people who get it.

Meg patiently waited for me, and then we watched the Golden Globes. Meg and I love the Globes. We're always hopeful that drunken celebrity hijinks will break out, but it didn't look like anyone was outrageously liquored-up last night.

I loved Ricky Gervais last year. He took some heat for being too mean-spirited, but I thought he was hilarious. Gervais was quite funny again last night, but I do think he dialed it back a bit. I especially liked his exchange with Johnny Depp, a big star who isn't afraid to poke a little fun at himself. The show could have used a lot more Gervais if you ask me, with drink in hand of course. 

Here's a rundown of the awards (my comments in red):

BEST MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA: The Descendants I had this as my #4 movie of the year, so definitely a deserving winner.
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA: George Clooney, The Descendants I don't think Clooney is a very expressive actor, but I kind of like that. Makes his performances feel more realistic, and his style was perfect for this movie.
BEST MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL/COMEDY: The Artist I haven't seen this one yet. It will certainly be nominated for an Oscar, so I'll be seeing it soon. I was kind of hoping Midnight in Paris would win.
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady Is it possible for Meryl Streep to be in a movie and not be nominated for awards? Probably not, she's just that good. I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm interested to learn a little bit about Thatcher.
BEST ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL/COMEDY: Jean Dujardin, The Artist Again, I haven't seen this one, so I don't have much to go on.
BEST DIRECTOR: Martin Scorsese, Hugo A bit of a surprise I guess, but we're talking Marty here, so not too big a stretch. I love Scorsese, and I loved this movie (my #7 this year).
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Octavia Spencer, The Help I didn't read the book, but I did enjoy the movie (not enough to make my top 10 though). I was more taken by Viola Davis, but Spencer's performance was noteworthy.
BEST ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL/COMEDY: Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn I haven't seen this one, but I like Michelle Williams, so I was happy to see her win.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christopher Plummer, Beginners I would call Plummer an actor's actor. I liked the movie, and his performance was excellent.
BEST COMEDY SERIES: Modern Family Great show. Ty Burrell is my favorite, but the whole cast is stellar.
BEST ACTOR, COMEDY: Matt LeBlanc, Episodes Seriously Hollywood Foreign Press Association? Matt LeBlanc? True, I haven't seen the show, but come on, Matt LeBlanc? 
BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA: Claire Danes, Homeland I haven't seen the show, but I like Danes. Well, kind of. She still has cred with me from My So Called Life, but I better like her in something else soon.
TV SERIES, DRAMA: Homeland This feels like one of those shows with a small audience that critics like to spotlight. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Anybody out there watching this show? Tell us about it.
BEST ACTOR, DRAMA: Kelsey Grammar, Boss I have a hard time believing Grammar can still find work, let alone receive an award. 
BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY: Laura Dern, Enlightened I've caught bits and pieces of this show. I feel like I might like it, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch a whole episode yet.

Anybody else watch the Globes? Impressions? Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Homeland was pretty good in a 24 kinda way. Terrorists and nudity and mental illness. Something for everyone.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch Clair Danes in Temple Grandin. I think she's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was kind of sad while watching the golden globes - I really only watched for Ricky but thought it was dialed back a bit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't watch the Globes because my friend invited me over for dinner. I was only going to watch some of it anyway as I record Once Upon a Time for the same friend and she most likely would have come over to watch it. I heard that Madonna and Elton John got catty.

    ReplyDelete