Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fast Five Friday

This is the last full week of school here in Arizona. The kids have three days next week, and then it's Alice Cooper time. Teachers have a grading day on Thursday and that puts a wrap on another year in public education.

It feels like I say this every year, but man, this school year went fast. The older I get, the faster time seems to slip away.

There was a lot going on this last week, so I haven't had a chance to post since last week's FFF. When I have some time this weekend, I want to write a post about our annual 8th Grade Barbecue. It's a great event, and the kind of night that makes me proud to be a teacher.

This week's Fast Five Friday was inspired by Roger Ebert. I follow Ebert on Twitter, and he posted a link to an article he wrote about movie sequels. It's an interesting article about the record number of movie sequels coming out this summer, and what that says about the current state of Hollywood. I'm not a huge fan of sequels, and generally speaking, they're never as good as the original. With that said, I have enjoyed a number of sequels over the years. This week I present my top five movie sequels.

5) The Empire Strikes Back: This came out on my birthday, and the memories are still vivid in my mind. My dad gave me money in the morning, and I waited in line all day with some friends. I immediately fell in love with Yoda, and I nearly lost my mind when Vader told Luke he was his father. Like a lot of people, the Star Wars movies were a big part of my childhood, and TESB was my favorite of the original trilogy.

4) The Dark Knight: I'm a big Christopher Nolan fan. I enjoyed Batman Returns, but The Dark Knight blows that movie out of the water. Heath Ledger was brilliant, and Nolan managed to make a summer blockbuster that had a lot to say about the world we live in.

3) Toy Story 2: This is another sequel I enjoyed more than the original. Just another day at the office for the folks at Pixar.

2) The Color of Money: This sequel was 25 years in the making. Paul Newman first played Fast Eddie Felson in 1961. Martin Scorcese brought him back in 1986, this time managing a young Tom Cruise. Big Paul Newman fan, and I loved the music, especially "Werewolves of London."

1) Aliens: This one holds a special place in my heart. My dad loved the original Alien, and he was really excited to see the sequel. Opening night was a family event. I think this was the first movie where I truly felt the sensation of being on the edge of my seat. My buddies and I saw this one so many times, we still quote it to this day. Not to mention I had a crush on Siguorney Weaver. I had her Time cover on my wall.

Now it's your turn. What are your top five movie sequels? Of course, feel free to belittle me for not including The Godfather II.

13 comments:

  1. Harry Potter. All of them. Love the books more but still love the films too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best sequel by far is The Godfather - Part 2. I think your choices of the Color of Money and The Empire Strikes Back are reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like yur list, i would add
    matrix trilogy =)
    and pirates
    - love them because they're confusing and i understand them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the Star Wars movies so it's hard to pick from that group. I also thought both Toy Story 2 & 3 were fantastic. And agree with Tara Tyler about the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

    The Worst sequel by far is Grease 2. It was so lame and not even close to the awesome that is the original Grease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, most sequels aren't very good. BUT I thought Road Warrior was a great sequel to Mad Max, and Terminator 2 was in some ways better than the original. Dark Knight was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indiana Jones, the Last Crusade. It wasn't an intellectual movie but it was as good as the original, and waaaay better than the Temple of Doom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wayne's World 2
    Toy Story 3
    Terminator 2
    Back to the Future II
    Die Hard with a Vengeance

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will not belittle you for not including the Godfather part 2. But come on man!!

    I agree with Empire Strikes Back.

    And L.G. Smith above absolutely hit the nail on the head with the Road Warrior.

    I really liked Kill Bill part 2, though I'm not sure that's a sequel.

    I'd have to throw in Before Sunset. Perfect sequel to Before Sunrise.

    Oh, and Die Hard 2

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with LG on Road Warrior (one of the best films of it's genre) and also enjoyed The Empire Strikes Back (simply one of the best films, ever), but these, and a few others, are the exception. So often sequels lack the most important element of what makes a movie good: a story.
    BTW: Ebert's analysis was pitch perfect, thanks for the link. I am somewhat sorry to admit that my family and I already bowl alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Porkey's Revenge' is the Dangerfield of sequels

    ReplyDelete
  11. My list starts with Harry Potter, LOTR, Pirates of the Caribbean and Oceans. I could watch these movies again and again, never got tired of watching them.

    Sell WoW Account

    ReplyDelete