Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What the Dog Saw

I just finished reading Malcolm Gladwell's latest book. The girls gave it to me for Christmas, with a little guidance from Meg of course. This one is a collection of Gladwell"s favorite magazine pieces from his years at The New Yorker. I enjoyed every one immensely. Gladwell has a truly unique and amazing knack for making the complex easily understood and entertaining. He takes these seemingly mundane topics and makes them freakishly captivating. I think Gladwell should host some kind of contest, where his readers vote on the most boring topic imaginable, and then Gladwell has to find a way to make it work. My money would be on Gladwell. I have to say, at this point in my reading career, there might not be a writer I enjoy reading more, fiction or non. Gladwell challenges a lot of conventional thinking, not always to debunk, but just to make us realize that there is often more than one way of looking at things. This guy makes you think. If you haven't checked him out yet, you most certainly need to, your life will be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment