Wednesday, March 13, 2013

National Wormhole Day

It's time for the National Wormhole Day hop, hosted by Stephen Tremp, LG Smith, and Laura Eno.

I'm joining the party last minute, but I have to support LG, one of the best bloggers out there. Here's the skinny on the hop:

What would you do or where would you go if you could traverse a wormhole through space or time just once? One safe round trip passage. Would you go back in time and talk some sense into a younger you? Go five years into the future and bring back the Wall Street Journal? See just how the heck the Great Pyramids of Giza were really built? View what the other side of the universe looks like? Kill Hitler?

I'm going with a sports theme for this one. I'm a huge Green Bay Packers fan, and there are a number of great games I would have loved to see in person. Perhaps the most famous game in Green Bay history is the Ice Bowl, so that's where I'd go. Back to Dec. 31, 1967. Back to a balmy -15 degrees, -48 with the wind chill. 

It was so cold that day a bunch of players couldn't start their cars and had to scramble to find a way to the stadium. It was so cold, the ref's metal whistle froze to his lips at the beginning of the game. It was so cold the University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse marching band scraped their halftime performance because everyone's lips were freezing to their instruments.

I bet the parking lot was full of people tailgating. That's just how GBP fans roll. 

Starr scoring the winning touchdown
The Packers defeated their arch rival, the Dallas Cowboys, 21-17 that glorious Sunday, securing a spot in the second Super Bowl. Bart Starr scored on the game's final play, sneaking in behind ol' Jerry Kramer. 

50, 861 people were in attendance that day. I'd go through the wormhole to make that 50, 862.

8 comments:

  1. The Ice Bowl! I'll watch any game where the Cowboys lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cowboys are America's team alright-the team most Americans love to cheer against.

      Delete
  2. I knew it!! A big Packers game. Had to be. What fun to be in the stadium during an epic game like that. And glad you signed up for the blog hop. It's been fascinating to see the places people would go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea for a blog hop-glad I didn't miss the deadline.

      Delete
  3. It would be really interesting if you went back to that game, and because you were there and therefore Heisenberged it, you then change the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to a Packer fan to WANT to go back to a frigid day to see a game. I bet the excitement of it would keep you warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born and raised in LaCrosse, WI, so I can relate to this post. Ha, leave it to GBP fans to party at -15. Sounds like a cool game to see, in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spoken like a true sports fan. I think it'd be too cold for me.

    ReplyDelete