Sunday, February 17, 2013

Greetings From Tel Aviv

I am writing this post from the lobby of the Dan Panarama Hotel in Tel Aviv. That's right ya'll, I'm in Israel. We traveled damn near a full day to get here, but we watched the sun set into the Mediterranean Sea tonight-not too shabby.

My mom has always wanted to see the Holy Land. She was raised Catholic, and in turn, raised her kids Catholic. Even though I'm what you would consider a lapsed Catholic these days, I offered to accompany my mom to Israel. She took me up on the offer, and here we are. We're like the Irish Catholic version of Seth Rogen and Barbara Streisand in that mother/son road trip movie that no one saw. But you get the point.

We'll be hitting all the sights any good Christian would ever need to see. I wish I could tell you what those are, but like I said, I'm a lapsed Catholic. I'm sure it'll all come back to me though. I'll post as much as I can this week to document the trip. We're going to be staying at a kibbutz most of the week. I don't know what the Wifi status will be, but I'll do my best.

Shalom for now.

6 comments:

  1. This is uber cool. I fit into that lapsed Catholic category too. I like to think of myself as a cultural Catholic - 12 years of rigorous Catholic education in a very Irish Catholic family - but a whole lot of adult years to recover.....
    I do, however, still think it would be terrific to go to Israel. That is an historic place and I would enjoy talking with the people there. I do like to make friends when I travel. Shalom back at you --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is awesome! I hope you enjoy the sights and your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great trip. Stay safe...very volatile times over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how exciting! I hope you and your mom have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one lapsed Catholic to another... it will all come back to you. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone. My mom and I feel safe, and we're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete