Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hoops and Healthcare

I wrote my last post on the eve of the Badger's second round game against Cornell. The Badger's last few games weren't very encouraging, and I had a feeling they might lose. Being a fan, there was still hope, but those hopes came crashing down Sunday afternoon. Cornell simply dismantled Wisconsin. I have to say, I can't think of a bigger beat down in the Bo Ryan era. Let me say this, that was not an upset. I watch a lot of college basketball, and Cornell is a damn good team. A buddy of mine said he thought Cornell would have won the Big Ten, and I think he's right. No way they were a 12 seed. I've seen a lot of 12 seeds in my time, and that was no 12 seed. So Wisconsin's season comes to an end. Pretty good season all things considered: beat Duke, finished in the top half of the Big Ten, again, and a 4 seed in the tournament. As for this year's Sweet 16, I'll be cheering for Cornell, St. Mary's, and Northern Iowa, all true Davids with a real shot.

Obama signed the healthcare bill today, and conservatives everywhere are apoplectic. I'm concerned about the cost, but I think this is a worthy expense. I know cynicism is king these days, but I think reform can lower costs. Our premiums get jacked up to cover the uninsured as it is. It makes sense to me that preventive care can lower expenses. I respect that it doesn't make sense to everyone. I guess we'll have to see who's right. For now, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm proud to live in a country that looks out for all its citizens, but I am more than a little embarrassed by how contentious our politics have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment