Sunday, January 12, 2020

Top 10 Movies of 2019

The Oscar nominations come out tomorrow, so this is a good time to post my Top 10 movies of 2019.  In years past I've only included movies that I saw in the given year, but I'm going to change that up a bit. I saw 1917 yesterday, and it absolutely has to be on the list.




10) Blinded by the Light: This is one of two movies all four of the Rileys saw together at the theater in 2019, so that alone makes this one a bit special. This is a charming little movie about a young Pakistani immigrant finding his way in early 80s England, with a lot of help from the music of Springsteen.

9) Knives Out: A good, old-fashioned murder mystery with a stellar cast. This is one of those movies people are always saying don't get made anymore. And yet here it is. Thank you Rian Johnson.

8) Us/Midsommar: I have these two together because they are great examples of the new type of horror movie that emerged in the last half of the 2010s: horror movies as social commentary. Jordan Peele explores race and class in Us, and Ari Aster explores modern relationships like you've never seen before (trust me) in Midsommar.

7) Little Women: This is the other movie all four of the Rileys managed to see at a theater together this year. We are all big Greta Gerwig fans, so this was appointment viewing. Gerwig's spin on the classic novel feels both timely and timeless.

6) Marriage Story: Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson are heartbreakingly good. Their performances make this a must-watch.

5) Parasite: One of the best takes on social class I've ever seen, in any medium. Director Bong Joon-ho gave a great Golden Globes speech about the world of film that can open up to us if we just get over our hangup with subtitles, and I believe his film will indeed open up that world for a lot of folks.

4) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Leo and Brad. And that's really the strength of this film, it makes you feel like you're hanging out with the characters, and it's a blast.

3) The Irishman: Yep, it's long. But man, is it worth it. There are two scenes in particular that will become iconic, one between DeNiro and Pacino and the other between DeNiro and Pesci. It is what it is people.

2) 1917: The way this movie was filmed is a true technical achievement. I'm still not sure how they did it, but it is truly amazing. Craftsmanship aside, there are numerous scenes of heroism that moved me to tears.

1) The Farewell: This is a little movie with a very big heart. It marries cultural specificity with universal themes. And in a year with more memorable scenes than most, there is a scene with Nai Nai that absolutely crushed me, and I know I will never forget it.

Let me know what you think of my choices, and of course, I'd love to hear your thoughts on best movies of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment