Sunday, December 1, 2019

Top 10 Movies of the 2010s

End-of-the-decade lists are definitely making the rounds right now. Seems like the list makers are putting their decade lists out first, with the traditional end-of-the-year lists to come later this month.

I haven't done a Top 10 list since 2015 (to my great shame of course), but all this decade reflection has my list-making juices flowing again. I'm going to follow the trend and do my end-of-the-decade lists first, and then follow up with 2019 lists around the new year.


10. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015): As a child of the 80s, of course I had watched all of the other Star Wars movies with my daughters. If I'm being honest, this really isn't top 10 worthy per se, but it is easily one of the best movie experiences of my life as a parent sharing movies with his kids.

9. Get Out (2017): Horror movies had a real renaissance this decade, with a number of excellent directors using the genre to disguise social commentary. No one pulled this off better than Jordan Peele with his masterful take on cultural appropriation. 

8. La La Land (2016): This is the first of two Damien Chazelle movies on my list. I love the look of this movie, and the music is awesome. I'm not really a love story kind of guy, but this one got me. Not as much as my daughters, who were literally bawling on the drive home.

7. Arrival (2016): Denis Villeneuve is another director who had a great decade. Here he uses sci-fi to ask one of life's BIG questions: If you knew all the bad things that were going to happen in your life, would you still go down the same path? The Max Richter song at the end of this movie is one of the best uses of music in film history. 

6. Lady Bird (2017): I feel safe in saying that Greta Gerwig's directorial debut is the best mother/daughter movie of all time. It's also one of the better coming-of-age movies. My oldest is about the same age as LB, so this was a particularly heightened movie experience. 

5. Inside Out (2015): This is right up there in the Pixar pantheon for me. Of course, watching a movie that mostly takes place in the mind of an 11-year-old girl with your own daughters, one of whom was 11 at the time, made resistance futile. 

4. Bridesmaids (2011): This is easily the most rewatchable movie of the decade. I don't even know how many times I've rewatched it, but it still cracks me up. This is also one of the most quotable movies ever made, and let me tell ya, not many days go by that I don't quote a line from this one. 

3. Whiplash (2014): This is Damien Chazelle's directorial debut and his second film on my list. J.K. Simmons gives an iconic, Oscar-winning performance that challenges viewers to consider how far people should go to achieve greatness.

2. Frances Ha (2012): I had avoided this movie for a long time. It looked too Woody Allen-lite to be honest. But thanks to a recommendation/cinematic shaming from my oldest, this was, without a doubt, the most pleasant movie surprise of my decade. It perfectly captures the ups and downs of life in your 20s. 

1. The Social Network (2010): Not only do I believe this is the best movie of the decade, I believe it is currently the best movie of the 21st century. This is that rare movie that feels more relevant now than when it was released. Fincher and Sorkin tried to warn us people. 

Let me know what you think of my choices, and of course, I'd love to hear your thoughts on best movies of the decade.

4 comments:

  1. Blogger needs a like button, for when you have no comment to add but you really enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, and I agree, a like button is a great idea.

      Delete
  2. I really like The Social Network as well. I haven't been thrilled with the quality of movies lately. So little originality compared to the 80's. My favorites have been the US version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Blade Runner 2049, and The 100-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Blade Runner 2049. Haven't even heard of The 100-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, need to check that out.

    ReplyDelete