Monday, January 21, 2013

Oprah Can't Save You, Lance

You didn't have to be a cycling fan to admire Lance Armstrong. In fact, I would guess most of Armstrong's fans were as clueless about cycling as I was. That's what made Armstrong a true icon, he transcended his sport.

How could you not admire the guy? The man was given very little chance to live, and not only did he survive cancer, he went on to dominate his sport. I have no idea what it takes to win a big time bike race, but it doesn't take a genius to know it ain't easy. 

It also doesn't take a genius to realize the emperor had no clothes.

The world of modern sports is full of cheaters. Performance-enhancing drugs make many of today's athletic feats suspect at best and contemptible at worst. It seems to me the dividing line, as always, is the truth. I don't blame Armstrong for taking substances banned by his sport to gain a competitive advantage. If he'd just come clean when the accusations started flying, we'd be good. Unfortunately, Armstrong went into denial mode, attacking his accusers like a mob boss.

The truth wouldn't go away, so Lance went to Oprah looking for redemption. I didn't watch the interview because as far as I'm concerned, you can't trust a thing the guy says.

And that's what disappoints me the most.

7 comments:

  1. Well said Tim, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right...it is the ongoing nature of this and the fact, he threw others under the bus that makes this doping worse than other instances. Who would of ever thought that we would be discussing the levels of doping as being "worse"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one think he should have gone to his grave still claiming his innocence (at least publicly). I'd have way more respect for him if he had, a la Barry Bonds. Everybody knows Barry is guilty but I bet he never comes right out and admitts to it. I have more respect for him then Lance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the smart reference to Hans Christian Andersen. Nice one bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My old boss was a cycling nut and held Armstrong up as a sort of demi-god who could do no wrong. I often wonder how he reacted to the news about his hero. He must have been devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the interview... sad.

    I was not a fan of his, so the accusations and ultimate guilt admission did not affect me. I was just curious; trying to see a little more of his brand of human nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched some of the interview. The only reason for this big Mea Culpa is that he wants back into the world of cycling. You have no idea how off-putting that was (for me). It only confirmed that he wasn't actually sorry. He was just jumping through the PR hoops he was told to jump through if he had a prayer of achieving "the goal." Honestly, I was seriously surprised by the number of people on YouTube who said how Impressed they were by his Coming Clean... blah blah blah. No one even recognizes a Snow Job when they hear it anymore. So freakin' sad...

    ReplyDelete