Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day



Photo by Joe Oliva/Joe@Jetpix.com

A number of people have emailed me pictures of a tribute the Green Bay Packers did for veterans last year. The images are truly awesome, if I do say so myself.

Photo byJoe Oliva/Joe@Jetpix.com

My parents met while serving in the Navy, and I was born on the Naval base in Chelsea, Massachusetts. As the son of two veterans, I appreciate all that our veterans have done, and continue to do, for our country. As the son of two veterans, one a Democrat and one a Republican, I know that love of country crosses all personal politics. As the son of two veterans who worked in health care their entire lives, I know America must take care of the men and women who come back from the battlefield wounded and scarred.

I always think about this on Veterans Day, but it especially strikes me this year. On Friday, my mom went to an event at my daughter's school for veterans. I'm incredibly proud of my mom. If you met her, I doubt you would peg her as a veteran, but she most surely is, and I was so happy that she got to share that part of her life with her granddaughter.

My heartfelt thanks to all the men and women of our armed services. And to my mom, who is a regular reader, you are a true Patriot.

3 comments:

  1. Cool photos, cool Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's impressive to say the least. I always find Veteran's Day, although it has a different name in the UK, powerful because of the silence at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month which is when World War One ended apparently - and I guess the 100 year anniversary of the Great War is fast approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that you had a childhood filled with ideas, exposure, and creativity. Or at least something like that with the parents you described!

    I'm glad you still have your mom and dad, and that your children have them, too.

    Kudos to the people who designed and implemented the tribute shown in the pics!

    Thank you veterans. :)

    ReplyDelete