Monday, February 6, 2012

Madonna, Ferris, and oh yeah, a football game

For the third year in a row, the Super Bowl set a record for the most-watched TV show in U.S. history. Even though my Packers weren't playing, I was one of the record 111.3 million people who tuned in for the game. I didn't think the game was particularly well-played, and it didn't get very exciting until the last five minutes. Those five minutes were damn good though. Truth be told, I seriously dislike both teams (my mother taught me that hate is a wasted emotion), so I was more interested in the commercials.

A few commercials stood out for me. There was that one with the pug in red shoes racing the greyhounds. The pug blows away the competition, moonwalking across the finish line. I have no idea what product was being sold, but that dog cracked me up. I loved the Clint Eastwood commercial. Man, Clint's voice, that thing IS America. THE commercial of the night for me though was the Ferris commercial. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. Did John Hughes roll over in his grave? or was it genius? If you haven't seen it, give it a look, and let me know what you think.




I wouldn't call myself a Madonna fan, although I did see her in concert in high school. I want to say it was 1987, Who's That Girl tour? I went with a couple friends, we drove to Alpine Valley in an orange Vega, there may have been a bottle of Jack Daniels involved. Front 42 opened, great show. I thought her half-time show started slowly, gathered strength, and "Like a Prayer" nailed the ending. My girls were excited to see LMFAO and Nicki Minaj. Good on ya Madonna, bringing the generations together. One of Madonna's guests, MIA, decided to spice things up by flipping the world the bird, and I'm pretty sure she dropped "shit" into her lyrics. Luckily my kids were oblivious.

I would have enjoyed Super Bowl Sunday a lot more if the Packers had been involved, but overall, not a bad way to spend a few hours. What were some of your SB highlights?

11 comments:

  1. I liked Madonna's boots, but that was about it for me on the half-time show. I just don't think I get her. And I completely missed the bird, because I could barely watch the half-time show by that point. I think I was busy tweeting instead. :))

    I had no stake in the game's outcome, so it wasn't always interesting, but the last minutes were fun. Wow, that would have been a miracle if someone had caught that last pass in the end zone. Tebow would have run it in. :PP

    And, um, the only commercial I remember involved a certain British soccer player. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what Tebow does next year.

      My brother sent me a text during the game saying that Beckham should be banned from the US, but I think most American women would disagree.

      Delete
  2. The dog moonwalking...I think it is Sketcher's shoes. Anyway, it was one of my favs, too. Basically, my children and I were multi-tasking as the game played; stopping to watch each commercial. Like you, we got into the last 5 minutes of the game.

    Surprisingly, my sports fanatic husband, was not home for most of it. He had some obligations and took care of them. Like us, he was only into the last minutes it.

    The half time show was entertaining and tame; no explanations to the kids necessary. We missed the bird flipping.

    I liked the Doritos commercial, too.

    Thanks for including the Broderick commercial here. I watched it and it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize the moonwalking dog was selling shoes, let alone which brand. Wow, my consumerism leaves something to be desired.

      I'm not sure if Doritos had more than one ad, but I laughed at the sling shot baby.

      Delete
  3. Of course, we were glued to the tube the entire time. The funniest part of the whole evening was when my son came up from the basement (where he was watching the game w/his sis and cousin), walked into the family room, saw a mildly funny commercial (I really didn't get most of them but Ferris was fabulous), and said, Oh, you have the funny commercials on this station. What station are you watching? I didn't have the heart to tell him "the same station as you!"

    I think that pretty much some up the commercials from my perspective. Madonna: she's looking progressively more like a cat. Gawd, that annoys me. How is it that some women actually look younger as they age? And some, well, they just look more like cats. Snip, snip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that your husband has the kids into the Giants, so I'm sure there was much rejoicing in your house. Being from Boston, I'm assuming you are still a Patriots fan? You probably dislike the Giants more than I do.

      Not sure if I'll be able to look at Madonna quite the same now.

      Delete
    2. Hubby contained himself until after the Pats fans left. I'm at a completely neutral point now--and feel it's best that way. (But I was bummed for the Pats). ;)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with this entire post. I thought the Ferris commercial was my fav. The game sucked up to the last 5 minutes, and I thought Madonna did a great job. I'm from Indy so I was glad to see Peytons little bro win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything I've read, Indy did a great job hosting the SB-gotta make you proud.

      Eli beat my Packers, so I can't say I was happy to see him win, but it is hard not to like the Manning brothers.

      Delete
  5. I won some money by supporting Eli Manning and his team. Everyone at my work likes the Patriots. I think it's because they relate to him (as they are all Mormon and he looks like they do). So I made a bunch of $10 bets and it made the game much more enjoyable. On Monday night I treated myself to a lobster dinner and resolved myself to reading some sports blogs this summer and Tebow's book so that I can get a bigger understanding of the sport as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other than the 'down to the wire' finish, I thought it was an entirely lackluster and forgettable event, including (especially?) the commercials. I thought the Ferris commercial was painful. Did anyone else think it weird that Matthew Broderick was playing himself and in one scene, cavorting with small children that were not his own? It just felt off to me. I don't know that any company got their millions worth out of their airtime.

    ReplyDelete