When I first heard about Twitter, it just sounded like a bunch of people sharing way too much information. I doubted any meaningful communication could happen in 140 characters or less.
I started an account just to see what it was all about, but my account sat idle for months. Things changed last summer when a friend of mine told me I should be using Twitter to promote the blog. For the last year or so, I’ve been Tweeting when I have a new post on the blog, and I can see on Blogger stats that quite a few people link to the blog from Twitter.
Along the way, I’ve been Tweeting more frequently, just random things about reading, sports, music, whatnot. My new phone has a Twitter app, and I have to admit, I dig it.
There’s a lot of crap on Twitter to be sure, but that’s life isn’t it. We learn how to filter out the crap and focus on what we like. Turns out, there’s a lot I like on Twitter. If you do Twitter, here are 5 Voices From the Stream worth following.
5) Walter Kirn/@walterkirn: If you like your social media with a dose of skepticism, Kirn is your man. Walter’s tweets (and his blog) are often glorious rants. He is concerned about the evils of social media even as he proves himself to be a master of using it.
4) Ayelet Waldman/@ayeletw: Waldman is a writer and a serial tweeter. She might fall into the category of TMI for some people, and her politics are way to the left, but I find her funny and insightful. Her tweets often contain links to interesting articles.
3) Peter King/@SI_PeterKing: This is my sports fix. King reports on the NFL, but he comments on all sports like an average fan. He responds to questions and comments from followers.
2) Katie Rosman/@katierosman: I have a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon type connection to Rosman, but I think I’d follow her anyway. She writes a lifestyle column for the Wall Street Journal and her tweets are frequent and funny.
1) Roger Ebert/@ebertchicago: I grew up watching Siskel and Ebert, and I’ve always respected Ebert’s opinion when it comes to movies. He’s much more than a movie critic on Twitter; his thoughts cover a wide range of topics. Ebert may tweet more than anyone on the planet.
I’ve connected with a few people from the blog on Twitter, and if you’re interested, my Twitter handle is @triles.
Have you embraced Twitter or do you detest it with all your heart? If you know of some cool Tweeters to follow, feel free to mention them in the comments.